Cascais, a charming beach town
This former typical fishing village at only 25 km from Lisbon has developed into a cosmopolitan beach town and can be reached in about half an hour from Lisbon, either by the beautiful coastal road (called the “Marginal”), by the Lisbon-Cascais highway or by a scenic train ride along the beach.
Cascais is often referred to as the “Portuguese Riviera” as it has a beautiful beach promenade that gives access to several protected beaches in the bay and is excellent for a relaxing stroll, for jogging, cycling or just having drinks or a meal in one of the many bars and restaurants that line the boulevard.
Since King Luis choose Cascais as his royal summer retreat in the late 19th century, the once minor fishing village has attracted royalty, nobles, and aristocrats, who constructed beautiful villas and mansions and turned the village into a glamorous beach town and great holiday destination.
Traditional Portuguese charm and outstanding tourist facilities
Today, Cascais is an elegant fusion of decorative 19th-century architecture, traditional Portuguese charm and outstanding tourist facilities, which together create a sophisticated holiday destination and a unique and privileged location to have a holiday home or to live permanently, as the town has everything you need for a relaxing beach holiday or to live a laid back lifestyle:
- wonderful weather & fresh air
- a variety of gorgeous beaches from the smaller beaches in the bay to the more wild beaches towards the the Sintra – Cascais natural park where the water is less calm
- walking and cycling paths for miles along the beautiful Atlantic Coast and in the beautiful natural park
- a picturesque historic center with museums, wonderful architecture, and several shops and restaurants
- a beautiful park with cafe and playground for the kids
- a wide variety of great restaurants with excellent menus based largely on fresh fish and seafood
- superb golf courses
- Excellent waves make it a great spot for surfing, windsurfing, kite-surfing, stand-up paddling and body-boarding
Let yourself be surprised by the glamour and serenity of Cascais and the striking beauty of its natural surroundings along the Lisbon Coast!
Read more in our Blog 10 reasons to fall in love with Cascais.